Pig Iron – Properties and Uses
Pig iron is the basic material from which wrought iron and steel iron is manufacture.It is obtain from different ores.It contains 90-95% of pure iron and 3-4% of carbon and other impurities which includes Sulphur, Phosphorus,Magnesium etc.
Properties of Pig iron:-
- It is weak and brittle.
- It can’t be welded or riveted.
- It is difficult to bend.
- It has a low melting point ( 12000C) as compared to steel ( 1400+).
Uses of Pig iron:-
- It is used to make cast iron ,wrought iron,steel after refining.
- It is used for making column,base plate,bracket.
- Airplanes use pig iron as a cheap, dense ballast that can be moved around as needed.
- It can be used to craft simple, decorative metal pieces used for external building decoration.
Incoming search terms:
- properties of pig iron
- Uses of Pig iron
- pig iron properties
- pig iron uses
- properties and uses of pig iron
- use of pig iron
- what is pig iron used for
- pig iron properties and uses
- Applications of pig iron
- application of pig iron